During the depression years, times were hard. No one had money. In 1932, brother L.H. Pogue bought gas on credit and came to Coldwater, Kentucky. There he took many dollar and quarter and a few five dollar pledges. Enough money was pledged so brother Pogue along with Tom Cochran, of Coldwater, went to the Omundson Tent Company and bought a tent. In the summer of 1932, brother Pogue used the tent in a Gospel Meeting at Coldwater. At that time, there were ten adults who formed the nucleus of the Coldwater congregation. In 1933, brother Pogue held another tent meeting in Coldwater. Twenty-three were baptized and one was restored to the Lord, and the church in Coldwater was on its way. After this meeting, the church began worshiping in the old Coldwater schoolhouse, but some of the local citizens did not approve of the church using the school building as a meeting house. Then they starting worshiping at Youngblood's store and worshiped there for some time. But this was not a desirable situation due to a leaky roof. Many still remember sitting under umbrellas or dodging the leaks during worship services. The congregation pulled together and volunteered their time and money in order to have a meeting house of their own.
Mrs. Scott, Hazel Adams' mother, gave the land on which the members and volunteers built the first church building. This was done by much hard work, sweat and sacrifice. Some of the concrete blocks for the building were made in the old General Store run by Harvey Smith. Others were made on a farm on Sand Lick Branch owned by Herman and Onia Darnell. Many spent long hours making and laying bricks for the building. In May of 1933, the church began to meet in the "old" block church building. Shortly after construction of the building the attendance was about 100 and the contribution was about $6.00. The first homecoming was held April 29, 1934. This was to celebrate the completion of payment for the original building and song books.
In 1937, the first elders were appointed. They were Francis Pea, Tom Morgan, Bob Watson and Novil Pendergrass. Tommie Pullen and Will Darnell served as the first deacons. Tommie Pullen was the first treasurer, and it is said that he stored the money under the cushions of his rocking chair. Those who have served the congregation as elders have been: Truman Turner, Dewey Bazzell, J.D. Lamb, Darrell Brandon, Edmond Gamble, and Bill Vincent. Other deacons who have served through the years are: Herman Darnell, Glenn Reader, Edison Hopkins, Darrell Brandon, Edmond Gamble, J.D. Lamb, Leslie Douglas, Rayburn Pendergrass, Hubert Bazzell, Larry Wisehart, Richard Price, Kevin Smith and Bill Vincent.
In March of 2008, Coldwater once again appointed elders to oversee the congregation. This was an exciting time and pivotal for the growth of the congregation. The men chosen to serve as elders were Richard Price, Kevin Smith and Bill Vincent. In October of 2010, Bob Austin and Delbert Newsome were appointed as deacons. Johnny Downs was later added as a third deacon on March 20, 2011.
Brother Pogue was the first to serve the congregation as preacher, preaching at Coldwater one Sunday a month, and in the afternoons at that. Some of the early preachers include: Garvin Curd, E.H. Smith, Harvey Riggs, Charlie Arnett, Earl Smith and Irvin Lee. Some of the more recent preachers have been: Dan Sykes, Kenneth Jarrett, Tim Roland, Richard Guill, and Brad McNutt.
The church continued to meet in the concrete block building for several years. Later, the building was given a brick exterior and class rooms were built on to the building. Because of increased growth a larger building was needed in which the congregation could worship. Construction began on the new building in 1977 and on June 25, 1978 the church met for the first service. Brother Hayes Grady was the preacher and his sermon for that Sunday was taken from Matthew 17:4 and was entitled "Lord It Is Good For Us To Be Here".
We are still saying, Lord It Is Good For Us To Be Here! God's providence has seen to it that the church at Coldwater, although experiencing trials and difficulties through her history, has still been a shining light in the Coldwater community. As long as there are souls to save, the church here has a purpose for existing. Therefore, may we always endeavor to achieve this purpose as we glorify God. "Finally, brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord" (1 Corinthians 15:58)
Coldwater church of Christ
8467 State Route 121 North Murray, KY 42071 us
Copyright © 2023 Coldwater church of Christ - All Rights Reserved.